Try 2 weeks of Ashtanga on us!
Beginners Yoga Wellington
People with very little or no experience of ashtanga vinyasa yoga, or complete beginners are welcome at Te Aro Astanga Yoga.
If you wish to join our community to practice this traditional and beautiful yoga practice then we offer a 2 week introductory trial for free.
All we ask from you as beginners, is that you come with an open mind and that you commit to attending at least 2 sessions per week, morning or evening for the first session and then a mix of both if you need to.
This was my first experience with Astanga yoga and I absolutely loved it. I really enjoy the ‘hands-on’ style of teaching and personal guidence, so you can work at your own pace.
Mike is not only a very knowledgeable and skilled but also friendly, gentle and encouraging instructor. He certainly makes the class and yoga a lot more enjoyable!
How to prepare:
- Wear comfortable clothes (track/bike pants, singlet, t-shirt) and expect to get a bit warm
- Avoid eating too much before class, as bending is better on an empty stomach!
Attending the beginners class:
- We have changing/bathroom facilities and provide yoga mats and drinking water for your use
- You won’t need shoes for the class.
- Plan for each session to take between 75 and 90 minutes
Provide your contact details and confirm when you would like to start your free introductory trial.
Steps to book your beginners yoga Wellington course
- Provide your contact details
- Select “Introductory Trial”
- Select your starting date of the week you want to start.
Please only select one date.
- Select book now to confirm
- Our start times are flexible so please contact us below for the best time for you to start on yor selected day.
- In order to give you the best possible start, there will be a limit of 2 beginners a week.
- If you want to do the course at the same time as a friend then contact us to arrange
Have a question? Get in touch
Ph 021 0272 2362
Level 1 of Left Bank, Cuba Mall, Wellington.
Beginners Yoga Wellington — 9 Reasons to Practice Yoga at Te Aro Astanga Yoga
- Friendly Community: The Te Aro Astanga Yoga sangham/community is welcoming, low key and friendly. Everyone is welcome from beginners to advanced practitioners and no matter their background, ethnicity, gender or sexuality.
- Experienced Teacher: Mike started practicing Yoga in 1992 and has maintained a daily practice since. He travelled to Mysore in India to study with his Guru, Sri K Pattabhi Jois for 3 months at a time, 7 times. He has been a full time teacher of Ashtanga Yoga since 1998 and has run and taught at Te Aro Astanga since Jan. 2000. He teaches in a friendly, relaxed, tradition based way and loves teaching beginners Yoga Wellington
- Mysore Style Classes: The traditional way of teaching Ashtanga Yoga is “Mysore Style”. In these classes you get individual instruction and guidance in a group setting which is ideal for beginners. You will practice at a level that is appropriate and safe for you. You will be encouraged to ask questions and to give feed back on your practice. To find out more about this amazing method of teaching click here.
- Small Class Size: Te Aro Astanga Yoga is a small studio with enough space to accommodate about 20 students. This enables Mike to be aware of and give ample assistance to everyone in class. Ideal for beginners yoga Wellington
- Sliding Start Time: One of the benefits of Mysore Classes is that you do not have to arrive at a specific time to start. You don’t need to stress if you’re running late. As everyone practices at their own pace and is taught to remember the sequence you can arrive at any time and make a start. Just allow enough time to complete your practice before the class finishing time.
- Morning Classes: Te Aro Astanga is dedicated to early morning practice. Our beginners Yoga Wellington sessions start at 6 a.m. Five mornings a week (no class on the New & Full Moon days).
- Friday, Chai Day: Every Friday morning Mike makes a pot of oatmilk spicy chai tea. After your practice you can enjoy a glass and take some time to get to know and chat with your fellow practitioners.
- Led Classes: We offer 2 Led classes. A half Primary Series class every Sunday at 10 a.m. A Full Primary Series with Sanskrit count on the last Friday of every month. These classes provide a great opportunity to get to know and practice with the correct breath count.
- Central Location: Te Aro Astanga Yoga is in the Left Bank between Cuba Mall and Victoria Street in central Wellington. You can conveniently come to Yoga class, have a shower in the facilities provided and then go to work. The perfect way to start the day! The perfect Beginners Yoga Wellington course.